[Rubygems-developers] Update on Testing for Gems 0.9.0 Beta

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Apr 4 17:01:11 EDT 2006

Jim Weirich wrote:
> Tom, here is the software to generate the rubygems server index files.
> The script is index_gem_repository.rb and is called as follows:  [...]

Here is an update.

Tom has installed the indexing software on RubyForge.  Based on initial
timings, I put the cutoff at 50 outdated gems.  In other words, if there
are more that 50 gems to be updated, it is better to do a bulk update
(with one humongous file) rather than a bunch of little updates of small
files.  That number is subject to further testing, but it seems a good
first cut.

There is a beta version of the gem software available that supports
incremental updating.  You can get it from CVS head, or with:

    gem update --system --source http://onestepback.org/betagems

Give this a whirl and report any problems back here on the list.

-- Jim Weirich       jweirich at one.net      http://onestepback.org