[Rubygems-developers] CVS Head Gem has problems installing latest rails

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sat Apr 1 22:56:05 EST 2006

Jim Weirich wrote:
> I get the following while installing a the latest version of rails.
> $ sudo gem install rails -y
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
>      Unhandled special: Special: type=17, text="SimpleXML"

It seems that you can't run the RI document option twice in the same
program invocation.  I've patched my local gem command to trap the error
and continue with the rest of the RDOC/RI generation.  Only the first RI
document is generated, all the others fail with similar errors.

I think it is good to *not* abort the entire gem command on a
documentation installation error (assuming appropriate error messages
are given), so I will fix that in gems.  But that just sidesteps the
basic problem of why the RI documentation fails.  I will post a message
in Ruby-core about this.