[Rubygems-developers] Gems created in 1.8.3 (YAML/Syck change?)

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Mon Sep 26 08:54:42 EDT 2005

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:21:44 -0400, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org>
wrote:

> I've seen some reports of gems created in 1.8.3 not being readable in
> 1.8.2.
> Its been a crazy week at work this week for me and I haven't yet tried
> 1.8.3.
> Does someone have the straight skinny on this topic?  Thanks.

I've been in a similar situation and haven't had time to look at it
closely.

Looking at the first lines of the specs that Eric provided, I see for the
1.8.2-created gem,

--- !ruby/object:Gem::Specification

and for the 1.8.3 created gem,

!ruby/object:Gem::Specification

There are various other YAML differences throughout the file.

Looking at the CVS log for Syck in the ruby repository, it looks like Why
has done a lot of
refactoring of the YAML emitter in this release.  Why, did you intend for
the YAML produced to be
incompatible with previous versions of Syck?

Thanks,
Chad