[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems TODO

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 10:02:27 EDT 2005

On 9/22/05, Austin Ziegler <halostatue at gmail.com> wrote:
> To be clear, I *do not* think that we should encourage the manual
> unpacking and installation of gems and that if repackagers do that,
> they're doing something that is contraindicated and they're hanging
> their users out to dry.

I think some people may have missed this point. This is an important
point that I think cannot be ignored. Gems should be the preferred way
of installing gem packages and other packaging systems should use and
trust gems as much as is possible.

New items:

13. Make it dead-simple EASY to have precompiled binary gems. This is
    also something that I believe will help repackagers.
14. Allow for a signed install. This is *not* the same as a signed gem,
    but could be used by repackagers to make it hard to uninstall a
    gem installed by an external packaging system. That is, you might
    do:

      gem install rails-0.13.0.gem --sign <passphrase>

    Then, to uninstall version 0.13.0, you have to do:

      gem uninstall rails --version 0.13.0 --sign <passphrase>

-austin
Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca