[Rubygems-developers] getting gems in the ruby dist

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Tue Sep 20 12:59:05 EDT 2005

On 20-Sep-05, at 11:42 AM, why the lucky stiff wrote:

> Hey, everybody, team.  Matz has given the OK to start checking
> RubyGems
> into the Ruby trunk.  I'm afraid it's probably too late for 1.8.3
> (which
> is due out today), but Matz has planned 1.8.4 for December.  He loves
> dropping versions on Christmas, so I'll bet he sticks to his plan.
> Whatever the case, I think we're long overdue on this.
>
> How should we do this?  Do you want to move your repository to Ruby
> CVS
> or stay where you are?
>
> Matz says either: "It's up to them. They can develop separatedly and
> check in their latests time to time, as you did for syck, or they can
> move their development on our repository."

Fantastic news!  Thanks Why!  Where did this conversation take
place?  I haven't been following -core lately,
and since I haven't been committing I didn't get a basecamp account
set up.

What do the other RubyGems people think about where we should host
the code?  I'm thinking Ruby's CVS would be good
in some ways and bad in others.  Most notably, I bet we'll still want
to make independent faster-than-ruby-core releases, and
i"m not sure of the best way to setup such a structure in Ruby's CVS.

Chad