[Rubygems-developers] Re: gem & require -> returns false?

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Sep 13 08:10:37 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 07:51 am, Jim Weirich wrote:
> Hmmm ... surprisingly disabling autorequire fixes this behavior too.  The
> original exception must not propagate out of the activation step.  This
> confirms my long held belief that autorequire is evil.
>
> (I've CC'ed the rubygems list to make sure everyone there sees this as
> well).

Just to followup to the gem devel list ...  I've made a beta version of
rubygems with autorequire disabled and would like people to install it and
run with it for a while to make sure that doesn't break anything else.

You can install the beta version 0.8.11.2 with the following:

   sudo gem update --system --source http://onestepback.org/betagems

There are a couple of other changes in this version, see the ChangeLog file
for details.  However, I do want to point out that I removed the requirements
for SSL when a signed gem is found.  Now gem only requires SSL if the
requested security policy requires /checking/ the signature.  This allows
folks with badly installed SSL libraries to still install signed gems.  (The
latest version of Rake is a signed gem)

Ok, enough rambling.  As always, report and problems with the beta gem here.

Thanks.