[Rubygems-developers] rubygems LoadError driving me insane

Ryan Raaum ryan.raaum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:12:41 EDT 2005

Hello everyone,

I am slowly being driven over the edge by a small loading problem in Mac OS X.

I want my ruby/gems install to be self-contained and capable of being
moved around on the system - feeding it the appropriate paths and what
not through environment variables.

If I set PATH and RUBYLIB on the command line to point to my mobile
ruby install, everything seems to work fine.  I can run anything I
try.  I can fire up irb and require 'rubygems', etc.

BUT, when I do the exact same thing programmatically (NSTask from
Cocoa) - that is, set PATH, set RUBYLIB, then try to fire off a
script, I get:

No such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)

Any ideas??

I'm setting

PATH=/path/to/mobile/ruby/bin:$PATH
RUBYLIB=/path/to/mobile/ruby/lib/ruby/site-ruby/1.8:...site-ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin7.9.0:.../site-ruby:...1.8:...1.8/powerpc-darwin7.9.0
(with ... just cutting out the verbosity for this post).

It doesn't seem to matter if the shebang in the script I am trying to
run points directly to the ruby interpreter or use /usr/bin/env

Thanks very much!

-r

--
Ryan Raaum