[Rubygems-developers] autorequire functionality

Alun.Eyre@aemedia.com Alun.Eyre at aemedia.com
Fri Oct 21 11:52:32 EDT 2005

This is a bit of a newbie question (new to ruby and new to gems!), but
having read through the comp.lang.ruby posts, and some of the digests of
this group, I could not see a similiar question, so if there is a better
place to ask, or a more appropriate group, please let me know, and I will
ask there :-)

I wanted to get a better understanding of the usage of the 'autorequire'
specification, as we saw an issue in-house with some small gems we were
playing with, summarised as:

(gem x) has a dependancy on (gem f)  which in turn expects a constant to
have been defined within (gem a) before it runs.

Now, the gem spec for (gem f) had an autorequire for itself (gem f) within
it's gem spec, which caused the issue where the constant was not defined.
Removing this line from the gem spec solved the issue.

Aegis Media,
Parker Tower,
43-49 Parker Street,
London, WC2B 5PS.

Telephone: 020 7430 6300
Facsimile: 020 7430 6319

This e-mail contains information which is confidential and which may be
legally privileged and protected from disclosure.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this e-mail or any parts of it, please telephone us
immediately on receipt.
You should not disclose the contents to any other person, nor take
any copies.