[Rubygems-developers] Question about issue w/unfound header file

Peter Marreck lumbergh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 16:50:43 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up an install of ruby/rails/gems on a new box
(haven't done a fresh install in a while) and I'm running into an
issue I don't know how to get around. I'm sure a gem developer would
have a quick answer though.

Rails installs fine. I installed sqlite via DarwinPorts which by
default goes into /opt/local/. but when I do a "gem install sqlite" I
get the following error:

Attempting local installation of 'sqlite'
Local gem file not found: sqlite*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'sqlite'
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/sqlite-2.0.1 for inspection.
  ruby extconf.rb install sqlite\nchecking for main() in -lsqlite... no
checking for sqlite.h... no

I know where sqlite.h is (where DarwinPorts put it) but how do I tell
the gem installer where to look to find it? Thanks for any