[Rubygems-developers] ri support w/ gem rdoc install

John-Mason P. Shackelford jpshack at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 18:03:45 EDT 2005

Since ri already loads data from multiple paths why wouldn't we
implement this by:

* Extending ri's path handling to search the gems directories for rdoc files.
* Adding an option to rdoc to generate ri docs for a particular gem

This would allow us to remove the docs when a gem is removed.

Is the major concern the performance hit of searching though all the
gem directories for the ri doc files? If so, couldn't this be
addressed with a persisted index? The index could be updated when a
gem is installed or removed so that it would have little performance
impact on ri itself.

If these are ignorant questions, forgive me. I have only just started
looking at the rdoc/ri source.

John-Mason Shackelford

Software Developer
Pearson Educational Measurement