[Rubygems-developers] RubyGems 0.8.10 Prerelease Ready

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Fri Mar 25 15:09:03 EST 2005

Ok, I've got a version of RubyGems I'd like to release.  Considering the fact
that the last releases needed a quick fix after publicly announcing them, I'm
announcing them here first, with a view to doing a public announcement in day
or two (probably Sunday evening).

Two bug fixes in this release

(1) Better handling for pinning required versions of libraries (thanks to
Tobias Luetke for helping with this one).

(2) Better gem update --sysgem handling.

I would like some help testing (2), particularly on windows box (which I don't
have acces to at the moment).

Here's what you need to do to test (2).  Manually download (do not use the gem
update command here!) the version of RubyGems from

Then do a local install with it. Something like

  $ gem install rubygems-update-
  $ update_rubygems

should do the trick.  Version is essentially identical to version
0.8.10, but with a smaller version number.  That allows us to do the
following command ...

  $ gem update --system --source http://onestepback.org/betagems

After that installs, double check that the gem command claims to be version

  $ gem --version       # should report 0.8.10

As I mentioned, I'm particularly interested that I didn't break how this works
on windows boxes.

I also attached the 0.8.10 announcement for review.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

-- Jim Weirich    jim at weirichhouse.org     http://onestepback.org