[Rubygems-developers] Pre 0.8.7 release & docs.rubygems.org announcement

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Sat Mar 12 09:31:22 EST 2005

On 12-Mar-05, at 8:52 AM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> I'm getting ready to make a 0.8.7 release of RubyGems.  There are a
> lot of
> changes in this release and would appreciate it if folks could
> download the
> current CVS tree and give it a try.  I plan to make the release Sunday
> night
> if there are no  objections.

Great!  You've done a TON this last week or two.  Great stuff!

> Chad, there were a couple of things on our list that didn't make the
> cut.  The
> uninstall --with-dependencies didn't make it, mainly because of the
> potential
> of uninstalling a lot more than you expect.  I want some more thought
> on that
> one.

I don't think that's a very important one, relatively.

> The other thing that didn't make it is the Robert Feldt issue
> (extensions in
> nested libraries).  I strongly suspect that can be address by a rake
> tasks
> and needn't be a gems issue.  But again, I need more time to
> investigate
> that.
>
> In addition to 0.8.7, we are also announcing the RubyGems documentation
> website: http://docs.rubygems.org.  Take a look at that and quick
> feedback is
> appreciated.

I've looked through most of it (and not contributed anything other than
helping to set it up, sadly).  Looks great.  It's a big improvement
over the Wiki.  We should clear all of the Wiki stuff out and just
point to this.

> Here are the release announcements (both 0.8.7 and docs.rubygems).
> Please
> review.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --BEGIN
> ANNOUNCEMENT-------------------------------------------------------
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.7
>
> Time passes quickly, and so does software developement.  Release 0.8.7
> of RubyGems is availble for public release.  Although another point
> release, you will find a number of very nice new features.
>
> First the numbers, 220 different gems available, almost 22,000
> downloads of RubyGems, and nearly 190,000 gems downloads.  Thanks to
> everyone for their support.

RubyGems has actually been downloaded 25,000 times counting the
rubygems-update package.

> == What's New
>
> Even though it has only been a few weeks since that last release,
> there are quite a number of new features in 0.8.7.  A complete list of
> new features will be given below, but here is a summary of the hot
> items.
>
> * The bug that prevented some users from installing rails has been
>   squashed.  A big thanks to Bill Guindon (aGorilla) for helping track
>   that one down.
>
> There are several new commands available on the gem command:
>
> * gem cleanup GEMNAME -- Cleanup (uninstall) all the old versions of
>   gem.  If the gem name is omitted, the entire repository is cleaned.
>
> * gem dependency GEMNAME -- Show the dependencies for the named gems.
>   This is really helpful when trying to figure out what gem needs what
>   other gem.

This'n is real nice.

> There changes to the existing commands as well.
>
> * gem uninstall is much smarter about removing gems from the
>   repository.  Lists of gems are now uninstalled in proper dependency
>   order (ie. if A depends on B, A is uninstalled first).  Also,
>   warnings about broken dependencies occur only when removing the
>   *last* gem that supports a dependency is removed.
>
> Both gem install and gem uninstall support some new command line
> options that can reduce the amount of yes/no queries given the user.
> For install we have:
>
> * --ignored-dependencies -- Only install requests gems, no
>   dependendecies are automatically installed.
> * --include-dependencies -- Automatically install dependencies,
>   without confirmation.

Man, --include-dependencies sure is nice.

> For gem uninstall, the new options are:
>
> * --all -- Uninstall all matching gems without confirmation.
> * --ignore-dependencies -- Uninstall, even if dependencies are broken.
> * --executables -- Remove executables without confirmation

I guess there are more things we can remove from our TODO list!

> And finally there is a new library file 'gemconfigure' to aid in
> writing version sensitive applications (without undo dependencies on
> RubyGems); and 'gemwhich', a short script to locate libraries in the
> file system.  You can read more about them here:
>
> * gemconfigure: http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/4#page73
> * gemwhich: http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/17

A big one for Rails is that if you set has_rdoc to false, it won't gen
rdoc for that gem.  A few people have mentioned this one to me, so I
fixed it after 0.8.6.  Or did Jim fix it?  I can't remember now ;)

> [...]
>
>   $ gem update --system   (again, might need to be admin/root)
>
> ... If you don't have a recent RubyGems, you can still do the two-step
>
>   $ gem install rubygems-update  (again, might need to be admin/root)
>   $ update_rubygems              (... here too)
>
> == Detailed Change List
>
> This list touches on most of the user visible changes in the RubyGems
> change log.  See the change log file for even more details.
>
> * Fixed bug in cache manager that caused the cache to be reread every
>   time on Windows.
>
> * Removed annoying message about not finding .gemrc.
>
> * Uninstall command will now accept the following options:
>   * --all (uninstall all matches without query),
>   * --ignore-dependencies (ignore dependency constraints while
>     uninstalling),
>   * --executables (remove the executables without querying).
>
> * New command: "gem cleanup" will remove all old versions of the list
>   gems (or the entire repository).
>
> * Uninstalling now will only query if removing a gem actually will
>   cause a dependency to be unfulfilled.
>
> * A new library file "gemconfigure.rb" makes is easy to take advantage
>   of dynamic versioning without becoming tied to using RubyGems.
>
> * Source URIs given to the --source option will now assume an
>   "http://" prefix if one is not given.
>
> * New Command: "gem dependency" will show the dependency requirements
>   of any installed gem.  Reverse dependencies are also supported.
>
> == Thanks
>
> Thanks to David Heinemeier Hansson for a number of suggestions that
> made it into this release.  Also thanks go to Bill Guindon (aGorilla)
> and Jim Freeze for feedback and testing of intermediate versions.
>
> Keep those gems coming!
>
> -- Jim & Chad (for the RubyGems team)
>
> -- DOCS.RUBYGEMS.ORG ANNOUNCEMENT -------------------------------
> == Announcing the RubyGems Documentation Site
>
> http://docs.rubygems.org
>
> Concurrent with RubyGems 0.8.7, I am very pleased to announce the
> public release of the RubyGems documentation website.  This site is
> built upon the excellent Hieraki application (the same one used to
> document Ruby on Rails).
>
> After fighting with wiki spammers and missing data, the RubyGems team
> decided to move the documentation to something a little more durable
> than a wiki page.  The content from the wiki pages have been reviewed,
> reorganized, and moved to the docs.rubygems.org site.
>
> The move is not complete, there is still information on the wiki that
> has not made it into the RubyGems document set yet.  But we will
> continue to convert the site as time goes on.
>
> We feel the Hieraki application gives us a much better opportunity to
> provide quality documentation for the RubyGems system.  We hope you
> enjoy it.
>
> Thanks to Tobias Lütke for Hieraki and to Bruce Williams for the
> RubyGems icon.
>
> If you are interested in helping with the RubyGems documentation,

Excellent release notes and excellent release!  I ran through all of
the features and it's working great for me.

Chad