[Rubygems-developers] Possible Fix for the "gem update rails" bug on WInXP

Bill Guindon agorilla at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 13:02:28 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:03:58 -0500, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org> wrote:
> Ok, this is the third attempt to squash this bug.
> After finding some code that didn't set the auto_require flag to false
> correctly, and then finding another location that had the same error,
> I finally discovered that the Gem.activate method didn't properly honor the
> auto_require=>false request under all situations.
> The CVS tree is fixed and updated for anyone who would like to try it out.
> Let me know if it works this time.

Just ran a test:
Uninstalled rails and all dependencies
Rolled back to Gem 0.8.4
Tried to "gem install rails", got an error.
Dropped in the new ( gem
"gem install rails" worked, and it worked with the defaults (I didn't
type the "y")

Thanks much for the time you put into this.  I now have Rails 0.10.1

Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)