[Rubygems-developers] alt. stylesheet for docs.rubygemns.org

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 12:08:34 EDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Chad Fowler wrote:

> On 22-Jun-05, at 8:04 AM, Hugh Sasse wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005, Chad Fowler wrote:
>>

>>> Hugh, thanks.  I started to make this change but ran out of time (I want
>>> to have a style switcher).  I'll try to get it finished up later today or
>>>

>> Firefox supports that switching -- or didn't you mean "at the
>> browser end"?
>>

> I was adding a link for switching styles.  What do I need to do to allow
> firefox to find the alternate stylesheet?  I put the stylesheet up and linked

Just put them in as link elements in the head.
http://www.eng.dmu.ac.uk/aeg/
is an example I made.
Firefox shows them in the View -> Page Style -> [...]  menu

> it
> as "alternate stylesheet".  I see it in the firefox "page style" menu, but

That's right, but I see you are using XHTML rather than HTML.
> selecting it doesn't do anything.   Does it work for you?

The XHTML does not.  The docs on XHTML tell me that link is in a
separate module.  I don't know how you "include" that or even
"require" its definition.  I've never got into XHTML in a big way,
but then I've found the terminology of XML with its DSSSL, XSLT, etc
pretty imprenetrable anyway.  So, either it is a fairly subtle xhtml
bug, or it is a bug in Firefox 1.04.  If your page were HTML it
would be right except for the closing /> (which I was surprised the
HTML validator barked at, preferring >, but it did when I used it in
HTML).  So, I don't know what is going on here.

If Internet Explorer can do anything with these style sheet defs it
isn't letting on! I can see no controls for seeing alternative
stylesheets from with I.E. at all.

> Thanks,
> Chad

         Hugh