[Rubygems-developers] --rdoc option does not have an effect

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Fri Jun 10 00:58:32 EDT 2005

On Monday, June 6, 2005, 4:06:58 PM, Eric wrote:

>> EH> If a gem has no rdoc (xml-simple), rubygems can't suddenly make it
>> EH> appear.
>>
>> Sorry of course it can. It will just list the things dectected by
>> analysing the source code. It is only a problem when the is code is a
>> compiled binary library but this is not the case in my examples.
>>
>> Thats why there is an option like the force rdoc generation.
>> And it does not work (also tried the  "gem rdoc xml-simple" command).
>> I must do this manually by calling "rdoc <gemlibpath>".
>>
>> So it is very clear that this is an Error in RubyGems.

> lib/rubygems/doc_manager.rb disagrees:

>      def generate_rdoc
>        return if @spec.has_rdoc == false

> and I disagree that rubygems should ever second-guess the gem author.

I think --rdoc should force RDoc generation.  That's not
second-guessing the author; it's just saying "I want to see the RDoc
output, please."  That's none of the author's business.

The "rdoc" spec is pretty useless at the moment.  Few people appear to
take any care in setting it.  I see it as being for information only
(which may or may not be accurate, just like homepage, for instance).

Accordingly, the "return if..." line above should be removed.

Cheers,
Gavin