[Rubygems-developers] Re: Rubygems on shared drive with multipleOS's

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Mon Jun 6 10:59:49 EDT 2005

Jim Freeze said:
> At work we use a shared NFS file system where I can run any
> one of four OS's all with the same $HOME directory.
> If I install a gem (that has an extension) using a Linux machine,
> can I also install the same gem with a SunOS box and have rubygems just
> add the appropriate extension?
> I would prefer this to having a separate gem directory for each OS,
> since most of the gems (those without extensions) can be shared.

Thanks Jim.  This is a good use case.  There's no theoretical reason why
this couldn't be done, but I think there are some practical issues to sort
out (e.g. installing separate platform dependent gems or a single
non-platform gem with multiple architectural directories, how to respond
to a gem activate when the only matching gem is the wrong architecture).
I'm not even sure what rubygems does in this case.