[Rubygems-developers] --rdoc option does not have an effect

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Mon Jun 6 00:38:59 EDT 2005

Hello Eric,

Monday, June 6, 2005, 7:21:08 AM, you wrote:

>> the first has no "s.has_rdoc" defined in the specifiction the
>> latter has
>> "s.has_rdoc = nil". No matter what arguments, xml-simple is always
>> installed without RDoc, BlueCloth always with RDoc. This does not make
>> sense to me.

EH> If a gem has no rdoc (xml-simple), rubygems can't suddenly make it
EH> appear.

Sorry of course it can. It will just list the things dectected by
analysing the source code. It is only a problem when the is code is a
compiled binary library but this is not the case in my examples.

Thats why there is an option like the force rdoc generation.
And it does not work (also tried the  "gem rdoc xml-simple" command).
I must do this manually by calling "rdoc <gemlibpath>".

So it is very clear that this is an Error in RubyGems.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com