[Rubygems-developers] Name collisions (Help me avoid hate mail while using descriptive names)

Eric Hodel drbrain at segment7.net
Sat Jun 4 20:10:27 EDT 2005

Last night I uploaded rails_analyzer_tools (and rails-analyzer-tools,
which gave inconsistent names to the other packages...) and now
"rails-analyzer-tools" gets installed instead of "rails" when I "gem
install rails":

$ gem --version
$ sudo gem install rails
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Successfully installed rails-analyzer-tools-1.0.0
Installing RDoc documentation for rails-analyzer-tools-1.0.0...

I'd like to keep the name 'rails_analyzer_tools', but at the same
time I don't want to get any hate-mail from Rails fanboys because
they now have to specify a version to get rails.

I thought something had been done about this exact vs relative
matching thing, but I'm too lazy to crawl through the archives in
search of it.

(Fortunately I have not announced the project, so I've asked chad and
jim to remove the offending gems from the server.)

Eric Hodel - drbrain at segment7.net - http://segment7.net
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04