[Rubygems-developers] How to specifiy c level build options insidea gem

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Fri Jun 3 16:57:27 EDT 2005

Hello Jim,

Saturday, June 4, 2005, 3:19:14 AM, you wrote:

JW> you can pass parameters to the C building process in a gem by putting the
JW> options after a -- (double dash) on the gem command line.  For example:

JW>    gem install somegem -- --prefix=/some/directory/somewhere

JW> Was this your question, or did I misunderstand?

Okay thats the one half, the other is the question where can i get
the information about what options i must parse ?

At the moment i would like to see a way that a gem can ask me for such
during the install operation.

So the normal cycle would be.

1) "gem install foo" and find out that the gem can't compile
2) "gem specification foo --remote"  (once this is implement)
3) Look at the dumped specification and find the homepage URL
4) Look at the homepage and hope that there is a build description
5) Run "gem install foo -- -my parameter"

Not very convenient. And isn't it a package managers job is to make it

So wouldn't it be nice read documentation about install operation
before i invoke the install (an icon in a GUI or a '*' character in a
TUI could remind me that there is additional install documentation

Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com