[Rubygems-developers] How does the platform work together withversion numbers

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Fri Jun 3 16:40:26 EDT 2005

Hello Jim,

Saturday, June 4, 2005, 3:15:58 AM, you wrote:

>> Okay this was the last problem i found. My Frontend is now working
>> well and it very convenient when i compare it with pythons (manual)
>> library
>> management. So hope that we can turn RubyGems into one of the killer
>> features of ruby, but it still needs a lot of work.

JW> Excellent!  I'm looking forward to seeing this run.

JW> One question ... Is the way we handle console input and output any help in
JW> building the front end?  We designed the UI interface with the possiblity
JW> of GUIs in mind, but until you actually use it for one, it is tough to
JW> know if you got it right.  I'd love feedback in that area.

Yes it's working well. I start a ruby script communication is done via
a socket between the IDE process and the script.

I only run into two smaller problems.

First the text layout is sometimes not very good for example wrong indentation,
or long lines and presenting uninstall messages
(ask_yes_no) will not work with many toolkits as this messages can
have a lot of lines. And a message box on Win32 can only display a few
lines. No problem for Fox, but on WxWigets it would became truncated.

Second is that i can't customize some messages where i really would
like to show more information. For example installing dependencies: I
get a name that almost always isn't self explaining. So i would like
to include an "info" button that makes it possible to see the
specification of the required gem before i answer yes/no.
To do this a function with a little semantic is required that in
it's default implementation can fallback to the ask_yes_no method.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com