[Rubygems-developers] How does the platform work together withversion numbers

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Fri Jun 3 16:15:58 EDT 2005

Lothar Scholz said:
> While platform is part of the gems directory name, there is no way to
> specify this in other commands (update, install) and it is
> also not shown in the "list" command.

Yes, I ran into this issue when making a compiled version of my X10
library for windows.  Gems also needs to be able to automatically select a
compatible platform specific version if it is available.  Right now it is
tough to put out a C source version and a compiled version of the same

> In my eyes platform should be just an orthogonal third descriminator for
> a gem. But extending the version number with a platform tag is also
> okay, this way we could reuse the -v --version option on existing
> commands.

Hmmm ... hadn't thought of extending the version option ... I kinda like
that idea.

> Okay this was the last problem i found. My Frontend is now working
> well and it very convenient when i compare it with pythons (manual)
> library
> management. So hope that we can turn RubyGems into one of the killer
> features of ruby, but it still needs a lot of work.

Excellent!  I'm looking forward to seeing this run.

One question ... Is the way we handle console input and output any help in
building the front end?  We designed the UI interface with the possiblity
of GUIs in mind, but until you actually use it for one, it is tough to
know if you got it right.  I'd love feedback in that area.

Thanks for the feedback, Lothar.  We really appreciate it.