[Rubygems-developers] How does the platform work together with version numbers

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Fri Jun 3 15:23:07 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm confused about the "platform" specification for a gem.
I think the whole idea came much later then the original
implementation and is therefore not well integrated.

While platform is part of the gems directory name, there is no way to
specify this in other commands (update, install) and it is
also not shown in the "list" command.

Any thoughts how this can be better integrated. I would really like to
see binary precompiled extension provided as gems.

In my eyes platform should be just an orthogonal third descriminator for
a gem. But extending the version number with a platform tag is also
okay, this way we could reuse the -v --version option on existing commands.

Okay this was the last problem i found. My Frontend is now working
well and it very convenient when i compare it with pythons (manual) library
management. So hope that we can turn RubyGems into one of the killer
features of ruby, but it still needs a lot of work.

--
Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz              mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com