[Rubygems-developers] Why does an install command an update

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Jun 3 12:21:09 EDT 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jim Weirich wrote:

> Hugh Sasse said:
> I'm liking the hash option.  Today, a SHA1 hash index for all of the
> available gems is still undef 60Kb.
> Another option to reduce bandwidth is to toss the file lists in each of
> the downloaded gem specs. [s/\n//; # hgs]

You mean the bits like

       - lib/cgikit
       - lib/cgikit.rb
       - lib/cgikit/components
       - lib/cgikit/components/CKErrorPage
       - lib/cgikit/components/CKErrorPage/CKErrorPage.ckd
       - lib/cgikit/components/CKErrorPage/CKErrorPage.html
       - lib/cgikit/components/CKErrorPage/CKErrorPage.rb

There must be a way to express this more concisely.  Dir doesn't
YAML::dump in such a way as to pass the name and the entries, but
that can be changed by yaml_properties or something, can't it?.
Not sure about backwards compatibility.....

> You only need that while installing (and at

I'm not sure how gems are packed up yet, I'll need to read that bit,
but could one install it without this info?  I mean is it held in
the archive format also -- all the gems in
rubygems-0.8.10/tests/data seem to start with data.tar.gz, so if
they are in tgz form then the paths should be in there already?

> that point you have the full gem).  Removing the file lists drops they
> yaml file down to 1/4 its original size.

Maybe a gem should have an install spec and meta[?] spec