[Rubygems-developers] Why does an install command an update of the Gem source index ?

chad at chadfowler.com chad at chadfowler.com
Fri Jun 3 09:29:32 EDT 2005

> On Thursday 02 June 2005 07:35 pm, Hugh Sasse wrote:
>> But I think the source_index method in
>> lib/rubygems/remote_installer.rb should look for a SHA1 sum of
>> yaml.Z before it decides whether to get it or not. Supporting
>> If-Modified-Since and/or Etags would help also.  Or it could at
>> least check that the size hasn't changed.
> RubyGems does check for the size.  I thought it also used
> if-modified-since,
> but don't see it in the code.  I know we tried it at one point.  IIRC, it
> may
> have had trouble behind certain proxies, and I don't recall the workaround
> off the top of my head.

Forgive my silence as of late---just finishing up a trip to India (I'm in
the lobby of my hotel in Amsterdam now).

I implemented If-Modified-Since, but there was something specific to
_rubyforge_ that made it never work.  It worked against every other web
server I tested with, but I could never get it to work against RubyForge's
apache.  I worked with Tom C. and we couldn't figure it out.  So, Rich got
tired of waiting and implemented the current size check. :)