[Rubygems-developers] Why does an install command an update of the Gem source index ?

Lothar Scholz scholz at scriptolutions.com
Fri Jun 3 00:59:28 EDT 2005

Hello Hugh,

Friday, June 3, 2005, 6:35:21 AM, you wrote:

HS> I think you have a point, but I think it would be sensible to cache
HS> the info from the remote source locally.  Rubygems-0.8.10 has a
HS> cache, but it seems to need to figure out whether it is the system
HS> or the user cache, and I've not understood what is happening there
HS> yet.  If it can't write to the system cache then at least reading
HS> from it would help here.  And I don't know if it checks the cache
HS> situation before getting /yaml.Z (index file)

If i understand correctly then yaml.Z is a complete index of all
packages and all versions. And this is a very bad idea. Usefull in the
past where RubyGems was not popular and had a handfull of packages, so
the developer could work on something different. But i think now the
situation is worse enough to completely rewrite the whole handling.

>> Isn't RubyGems working like a classis client server
>> application ?

HS> You mean, it (as|pre)sumes easy availability?

In the way that as less data as possible should be store on the local
system and minimized data transfer is preferred  (which in this case
is just a conclusion from the first point).

--
Best regards,
 Lothar Scholz                mailto:scholz at scriptolutions.com