[Rubygems-developers] Missing functions

Ryan Davis ryand-ruby at zenspider.com
Thu Jun 2 16:32:23 EDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 1:13 PM, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> 1) Specifications for Remote Gems are not retrievable

good catch:

506 % gem specification -r ParseTree
(Remote 'info' operation is not yet implemented.)

> 2) "gem check" seems not to work for individual file as
>    i can't set a gemname. But why do we then have a --version option ?
>    It is very important to run unit tests and other checks (alien
>    files) on a specific gem.

I think check is an auditing function to make sure all your files are
there and "alien" files are (optionally) reported. I don't think it
runs the unit tests again, but I could be wrong.

I think it'd be good to add a new command "test" or somesuch.

> 3) Give a detailed description of a GEM.
>    Simply dumping a YAML file of the Specification is a easy hack but
>    it's not what people want to see, especially on a front end. So a
>    more readable output (like the "dependency" which is already
>    implemented) should be implemented.

Well, in your case, you don't need this, because you can pipe the
YAML, parse it, and then make it prettier. But in general, I agree
that there should be something more like pkg_info on FreeBSD's port
system. Very readable.

> 4) Update should also work on individual gems or list of gems.
>    Updating all gems is too restrictive as it results in unwanted
>    garbage on your disk and huge downloads.

   Arguments:
     GEMNAME(s)   name of gem(s) to update

Does this not work? I haven't tested it because I am already up to date.

> Can this feature be put on the TODO list for future versions ?

Please file individual bugs at http://rubyforge.org/projects/
rubygems/ . If you file them, they you remain on the notification
list for the bugs and can track the progress easier.

--
ryand-ruby at zenspider.com - Seattle.rb - http://www.zenspider.com/
seattle.rb