[Rubygems-developers] Handling of tar files....

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Jul 27 13:34:07 EDT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Jim Weirich wrote:

> Hugh Sasse said:
>> AFAICS rubygems assumes that tar is gnu tar.
>
> Actually, it is rake that assumes this, and only the package task at that.
>
> I'm willing to accept patches to Rake's package task to support (i) tar
> commands called something other than "tar" or located elsewhere in the
> path, or (2) option to user Tar::Minitar (or whatever it is called).

I'm willing to write something that will detect gtar, but what do
you do for things like this at the moment: check at runtime; check
environment variables; check at build time, or something else?
Whatever's written should fit current conventions.  GNU stuff does
this at configure time usually, so that model isn't applicable here.

         Thank you,
         Hugh