[Rubygems-developers] Roadmap for version 0.8.12

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Tue Jul 19 12:26:31 EDT 2005

Assaph Mehr said:
> Hi,
>
>>  gem install --version=0.5 rails
>> --source=http://gems.rubyforge.org/archive
>
> Not related directly but a new feature request: Would it be possible
> to have a "beta" section of the repository? For example, I may want to
> release a preview of the next version of my library but not cause
> everyone to automatically update and break existing programs.

Good point.  We can certainly support a beta subdirectory just like the
archive subdirectory.  In fact, it may be worth supporting arbitrary
partitions or subdirectories (e.g. --partition=beta).

The larger problem is how to populate these partitions under RubyForge.
The user does not control where the RubyForge gem is located.  The
original proposal was to automate the archiving using the same script that
RubyForge uses to generate its indicies.  I don't want to start dictating
RubyForge policy however.  Creating a beta directory would require that
RubyForge allow the user to somehow direct where the gem should go.

Actually, this wouldn't be a bad thing.  Let the user specify when
versions should be rolled into the archive.  That takes all the hassle
away from automating it.

Hmmm ... just some more thoughts on the --beta idea.  One other problem
that just occurred to me is that --beta flag is disconnected from the
source.  Since the gem command supports multiple sources (at least it will
in the 0.9.xxx series ... we're not quite there yet), just saying --beta
doesn't tell you which source should be used for --beta.  Perhaps what we
need is a source management piece.  E.g. This source is beta, that one is
alpha, this one is an archive.  Then we can say update from my beta
sources, and the gem command will switch in multiple betas as configured.

I think for 0.8.12 I'm going with the explicit source for archive (i.e. no
need for any work on the client side to support it), but the --beta
suggestion and friends will certainly be worth thinking about in the
future.