[Rubygems-developers] [ANNOUNCE] RubyGems Release 0.8.11

chad at chadfowler.com chad at chadfowler.com
Thu Jul 14 12:03:21 EDT 2005

> Hello Hugh,
>
> Thursday, July 14, 2005, 5:31:51 PM, you wrote:
>
> HS> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Jim Weirich wrote:
>
>>> = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.11
>
> HS> This patch I sent never made it.  Is it fundamentally flawed, or
> HS> does it need specific tweaking?
>
> This patch does not solve the problem for this (IMHO stupid) flag was
> introduced. Calling rdoc for rails runs into an infinite loop at the
> moment so the rescue clause is never reached.

There was a problem that led to this flag being used to inhibit RDoc (the
flag has been there since the very first gem spec was ever written).  But
the problem that led to it is separate from our desire to support the
flag.  There are some gems for which RDoc generation is pointless.  This
flag is for those gems.  If you would consider gems like the railties gem
or fixrbconfig as examples, you would understand.

On a side note, calling the work of others "stupid" isn't going to win you
any credibility.  I'm not interested in reading any more of your caustic
remarks.  Please temper your attitude on this list.

Chad