[Rubygems-developers] Running a gem server

Jim Freeze rubygems at freeze.org
Wed Jul 13 17:03:41 EDT 2005

* Hugh Sasse <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> [2005-07-13 21:40:25 +0100]:

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Jim Freeze wrote:
>
> Does anything else WEBrick-ular work on the Mac?  It's that 503
> error being temporary that has me puzzled.....  You are bound to
> have tried several times with the port open....

Usually works fine.

> I don't use Macs (just a fact of history rather than an expression
> of opinion), so am not as familiar with their quirks as some.
>
> If the problem can be isolated to WEBrick it might help. You could
> coax more logging out of WEBrick for some illumination, maybe.

It may be some proxy problems.

Here is a bit more information.
 1. I ran gem_server on the mac.
 2. From the mac, the gem server served up html pages fine
 3. From the sun box, the pages did not show up.
 4. I changed the mozilla browser on the sun to bypass the
    proxy when browsing to the mac.
 5. The gem server pages now showed up on the sun

Obviously the proxy was getting in the way of the browser,
but the proxy should not be part of the picture for
'gem install' should it, unless it is given on the command line?

Below is some debug info when running 'gem install'. Not sure
it is any more help. BTW, no information was dispayed on the
server side during this request. Probably means it never
saw the request.

  gem install -r commandline --source http://10.80.29.42:8808 --debug
  Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at
  /project/img/local/sun/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb:12 - No
  such file or directory - /home/ncsg/r68606/.gemrc
  Attempting remote installation of 'commandline'
  Updating Gem source index for: http://10.80.29.42:8808
  Exception `OpenURI::HTTPError' at
  /project/img/local/sun/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/open-uri.rb:574 - 503
  Service Unavailable
  Exception `OpenURI::HTTPError' at
  /project/img/local/sun/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/open-uri.rb:574 - 503
  Service Unavailable
  Exception `OpenURI::HTTPError' at
  /project/img/local/sun/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:112
  - 503 Service Unavailable
  Exception `OpenURI::HTTPError' at
  /project/img/local/sun/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/open-uri.rb:574 - 503
  Service Unavailable
  Exception `OpenURI::HTTPError' at
  /project/img/local/sun/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/remote_installer.rb:112
  - 503 Service Unavailable
  ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
      503 Service Unavailable

>         Hugh

Jim Freeze