[Rubygems-developers] Running a gem server

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 12:40:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Jim Freeze wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting a gem to install from a local
         [...]
>  gem_server
>
> On machine B I type
>
>  gem install <gemname>  --source http://10.0.0.1:8808
>
> where 10.0.0.1:8808 is the IP of machine B.
>
> The response I get is:
>
>  gem install <gemname> --source http://10.0.0.1:8808
         [....]
>  Updating Gem source index for: http://10.0.0.1:8808
>  ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
>      503 Service Unavailable

I can't see why this wouldn't work.  Does using -p on the gem_server
help?  I see the line:

  s = WEBrick::HTTPServer.new(:Port => options[:port] || 8808)

and wonder if it might possibly be read as

  s = WEBrick::HTTPServer.new((:Port => options[:port]) || 8808)

rather than

  s = WEBrick::HTTPServer.new(:Port => (options[:port] || 8808))

But surely someone would have hit that by now, and your server
should have whinged about it anyway.

Other things, are they running the same versions [of ruby?] at each end?

I also notice gem_server in 0.8.10 doesn't seem to do much with
compression, although the gem program itself does.  Shouldn't give
you a 503 should it....

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.5.4

but that's only meant to be a temporary error, and there is the
option of supplying a Retry-After header, but I'm sure you'd not
see that.

         Hugh