[Rubygems-developers] Problems with fresh install on Ubuntu: No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 21:52:25 EST 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:12:13 -0600, Trevor <wenn0029 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:
> Trevor wrote:
>> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in
>> `require': No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)
>> from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:58:in
>> `manage_gems' from /root/rubygems-0.8.4/./post-install.rb:63:in
>> `install_sources' from
>> /root/rubygems-0.8.4/./post-install.rb:74:in `instance_eval'
>> from setup.rb:583:in `instance_eval'
>> from setup.rb:583:in `try_run_hook'
>> from setup.rb:577:in `run_hook'
>> from setup.rb:1315:in `exec_task_traverse'
>> from setup.rb:1168:in `exec_install'
>> from setup.rb:887:in `exec_install'
>> from setup.rb:705:in `invoke'
>> from setup.rb:674:in `invoke'
>> from setup.rb:1352
> It turns out that Ubuntu needed some ruby libraries installed -
> libzlib-ruby I believe. Would there be a way to have RubyGems
> report when it fails a dependency requirement for itself? Instead
> of "/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:26:in
> `require': No such file to load -- rubygems/builder (LoadError)",
> something about zlib would be more helpful.
> Thanks for the work on this great utility - it was definitly worth
> the install.

Ubuntu is based on Debian, as I recall.

Bitch at your package maintainers for being a bit stupid in their
packaging of Ruby. zlib is a standard part of Ruby and it is
expected to be installed. So is OpenSSL and several other packages
that may not be prepared by default for Ruby by these people who
think that they know bettter on how to prepare and distribute Ruby
than Matz and company.

Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca