[Rubygems-developers] [BUG?] 'No metadata found' using gems 0.8.4

Assaph Mehr assaph at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 17:45:30 EST 2005

Hi,

Due to unfortunate setup at work (authenticating proxy), I have to
manually download .gem files and install locally. Using RubyGems
0.8.4, I am no longer able to do that for new gems:

c:\Tools\Ruby\gems>gem i rubyslippers-0.93.gem
Attempting local installation of 'rubyslippers-0.93.gem'
ERROR:  Error installing gem rubyslippers-0.93.gem[.gem]: No metadata found!

c:\Tools\Ruby\gems>gem env
Rubygems Environment:
  - VERSION: 0.8.4 (0.8.4)
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: c:/bin/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM PATH:
     - c:/bin/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org

Funny thing is that if I try to install an already installed gem
(repeat install of exact version) it installs OK. Tried going back to
0.8.3: some gems installed OK, some still game the 'no metadata found'
error.

As an aside, what happened to the --backtrace option? I wanted to
include it in the report.
Also, I didn't see any difference between the output of gem list
--details and --no-details.

Cheers,
Assaph

ps. Anybody know (regardless of gems) if net/http can handle
authenticating proxies? I am unable to get it to work (keep getting
407 HTTPProxyAuthenticationRequired errors).