[Rubygems-developers] packaging binary executables / etc

Patrick May patrick at hexane.org
Sat Feb 19 02:59:11 EST 2005

I am working on the next release of Narf.  This release of narf will
contain a customized version of the ruby interpreter[1].  The Narf
build scripts currently do a fine job of:

   if windows
     using a pre-compiled binary
     compiling a new binary
   installing this binary next to ruby.

I saw these attributes in the gemspec:

But I wasn't sure if they would fit my needs.  Narf.c embeds ruby in a
web-customized executable.  That executable is (and must be) a binary.
How would I package the narf interpreter with a gem?

1. You need to get into the interpreter to a.) run as a cgi and b.)
report syntax errors in cgi-scripts to the browser.