[Rubygems-developers] Good new on authenticating proxies!

Assaph Mehr assaph at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 17:27:00 EST 2005

> Why not just use timeout.rb from the stdlib?

I believe net/http already uses the timeout.rb. I base this on the
observation that the exception being thrown is:

c:/bin/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:42:in `rbuf_fill': execution
expired (Timeout::Error)
	from c:/bin/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:196:in `timeout'
	from c:/bin/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:55:in `timeout'
	from c:/bin/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:196:in `rbuf_fill'

> Assaph, can you telnet through the proxy and do a HEAD on RubyGems'
> yaml metadata directly?  I'm wondering if we have a problem with the
> Ruby libs or if this is a general problem you're going to have because
> of your network config there.  I don't know much about your proxy
> setup, so I may be asking for something that's just plain impossible.
>
> If not with telnet, perhaps wget or curl could do a HEAD for you?

The proxy setup is as follows: I have the APS running on my machine.
It is a non-authenticating proxy. It in turn forwards everything to
the corporate proxy and does the NTLM authentication as required by
the corporate one.

I have tried with curl and I get the same results: getting just the
head causes an error. This is probably an APS problem as I can get
just the head through the corporate proxy (with curl).

HTH,
Assaph

ps. I think I have finally understood our IT department security
model. It's the time honored "Security by Stupidy".