[Rubygems-developers] Good new on authenticating proxies!

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Feb 9 06:47:59 EST 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 2:06 AM, Marcel Molina Jr. wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 04:52:37PM +1100, Assaph Mehr wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:30:32 -0500, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org>
>> wrote:

>>> How long does it take for the head call to time out?
>>
>> 60 seconds. Annoying but not critical.
>>
>> BTW, There's a Net::HTTP#read_timeout=(sec) setter in which you can
>> control this. I've tried different values, but it doesn't seem to
>> change the end result.
>
> Why not just use timeout.rb from the stdlib?
>
> marcel

I was thinking the same, but I bet there's a valid answer to this
question :)

Assaph, can you telnet through the proxy and do a HEAD on RubyGems'
yaml metadata directly?  I'm wondering if we have a problem with the
Ruby libs or if this is a general problem you're going to have because
of your network config there.  I don't know much about your proxy
setup, so I may be asking for something that's just plain impossible.

If not with telnet, perhaps wget or curl could do a HEAD for you?

Very curious.

Thanks,
Chad