[Rubygems-developers] Upgrading?

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Feb 4 11:41:00 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:15:02 +0000 (WET), Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
> <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Actually I expected gem update to fix this, but still...
> You'll need to run "update_rubygems" (I think) afterwards. RubyGems,
> for security reasons, does not run anything on install. However, I

Oh, I'd forgotten about that...

> would *really* like a "postinstall" messages hash that looks something
> like this:
>  Gem::Specification.new do |s|
>    s.postinstall = { :default => "a standard message to be displayed

s/:default/:always/, I think.

> to all platforms, even if there is a specific message.",
>                      :other => "a standard message to be displayed to
> all non-specified platforms.",
>                      :win32 => "a standard message to be displayed to
> Windows users" }

Yes, this is a good idea.  Indexed by RUBY_PLATFORM, perhaps.
Obviously the hash could be constructed according to what happened
during the buid so that's probably sufficiently flexible
>  end

While wishing
    "could we have a `gem docs` command to remind people where to look
    for the /r?docs/ (and possibly say that there aren't any for a
    package), please?"

> -austin

         Thank you,