[Rubygems-developers] Upgrading?

Austin Ziegler halostatue at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 10:45:47 EST 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:15:02 +0000 (WET), Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
<hgs at dmu.ac.uk> wrote:
> What have I missed about upgrading?
> brains# gem --version
> 0.8.1
> brains# gem search -r rubygem
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
> rubygems-update (0.8.4, 0.8.3, 0.8.1, 0.8.0)
>      RubyGems Update GEM
> brains# gem install -r rubygems-update
> Attempting remote installation of 'rubygems-update'
> Successfully installed rubygems-update, version 0.8.4
> Installing RDoc documentation for rubygems-update-0.8.4...
> WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.
> brains# gem --version
> 0.8.1
> brains#
> I expected 0.8.4 as that last result.  I should be able to update
> using gem [options] after installation, shouldn't I?  Or will this
> only work after install the NEW tarball?
> Actually I expected gem update to fix this, but still...

You'll need to run "update_rubygems" (I think) afterwards. RubyGems,
for security reasons, does not run anything on install. However, I
would *really* like a "postinstall" messages hash that looks something
like this:

  Gem::Specification.new do |s|
    s.postinstall = { :default => "a standard message to be displayed
to all platforms, even if there is a specific message.",
                      :other => "a standard message to be displayed to
all non-specified platforms.",
                      :win32 => "a standard message to be displayed to
Windows users" }

Austin Ziegler * halostatue at gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin at halostatue.ca