[Rubygems-developers] Patch that fixes Proxy authorization problem (407)

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 17:21:59 EST 2005

On 12/15/05, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Anatol Pomozov <anatol.pomozov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have response from one guy who tried it. And it says that storing
> login
> > and password in HTTP_PROXY makes collision with Perl Package Manager
> format
> > that expect have following EnvVariables
> >
> > So I suggest redo a little my patch and use following algorithm
> >   http_proxy = options() || ENV['HTTP_PROXY']
> >   if http_proxy contains login and lassword
> >     proxy_user = extract login from http_proxy
> >      proxy_password = extract password from http_proxy
> >   else
> >     proxy_user = HTTP['http_proxy_user']
> >     proxy_password = ENV['http_proxy_pass']
> >   end
> I'm going to request a unit or functional test for this logic.  Thanks.

I have already made this changes on my machine and it works for me (I mean
http_proxy_user). And of course it should be tested.
But first I should fix all broken tests on Windows. I am going to take a
look at it tomorrow.

The only thing that makes me nervous with RubyGems code that it have a lot
of TAB symbols, and as my editor do not like TABS and converts them to
SPACES. So I have a lot of changes mostly of them just whitespace changes.
Jim, could you please format code and remove all TABS. It would be
definitely easier to develop.

> Have gem something like central config file where could be stored
> http_proxy
> > settings??
> Yes, you will find it in $HOME/.gemrc (or the equivalent in windows).

Where could I find info about format of this file?

anatol (http://pomozov.info)