[Rubygems-developers] Why RubyGem lib contains open-uri library??

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 03:56:16 EST 2005

Hi.

On 12/12/05, Mauricio Fernandez <mfp at acm.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:29:57PM +0100, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> > On 12/11/05, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > When we first started using open-uri, there was a bug in the library,
> > > so we had to supply a patched version of it.
> >
> > Is RubyCVS version of this file contains fix for your problem?? I mean
> is it
> > possible to replace RubyGem version open-uri with Ruby current version
> of
> > open-uri??
>
> IIRC the bug you worked around by shipping your own open-uri was a data
> corruption issue (under win32) due to open-uri not setting binmode for
> the Tempfile, and it was squashed on Feb 2004 in Ruby's CVS, therefore
> being fixed in all Ruby installations since Ruby 1.8.2 preview 1 (and
> stable snapshots with RUBY_RELEASE_DATE > "2004-02-01").

Thx Mauricio  for useful info.

Probably better to get rid of open-uri lib from distributing ??
Or do some cheching like
if RUBY_VERSION >= 1.8.4
  use standart open-uri
else
  use packaged with RubyGems
end

I don't like idea of keeping 2 libraries in system.

As for encoding the login/password in the http_proxy environment variable:
> if I recall correctly Akira Tanaka rejected it, so you can't count on
> that being added to open-uri.

I have received answer from Akira Tanaka he wrote that storing password in
ENV_VAR is depricated. And all browsers should store password in its own
way. It means that all library should parse this variable by itself :)
Well that is exactly what I did. I add proxy ENV parsing in RubyGems lib.

Have you any ideas how to do better in this situation. How to store PROXY
login/password for Gems??

BTW. Seems that RubyGems tests not passwed under Windows.
--
anatol (http://pomozov.info)