[Rubygems-developers] Why RubyGem lib contains open-uri library??

Mauricio Fernandez mfp at acm.org
Sun Dec 11 18:38:22 EST 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 07:29:57PM +0100, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> On 12/11/05, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When we first started using open-uri, there was a bug in the library,
> > so we had to supply a patched version of it.
>
> Is RubyCVS version of this file contains fix for your problem?? I mean is it
> possible to replace RubyGem version open-uri with Ruby current version of
> open-uri??

IIRC the bug you worked around by shipping your own open-uri was a data
corruption issue (under win32) due to open-uri not setting binmode for
the Tempfile, and it was squashed on Feb 2004 in Ruby's CVS, therefore
being fixed in all Ruby installations since Ruby 1.8.2 preview 1 (and
stable snapshots with RUBY_RELEASE_DATE > "2004-02-01").

As for encoding the login/password in the http_proxy environment variable:
if I recall correctly Akira Tanaka rejected it, so you can't count on
that being added to open-uri.

--
Mauricio Fernandez