[Rubygems-developers] Advice on version numbers for alpha releases?

Lyle Johnson lyle.johnson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:50:21 EDT 2005

On 8/18/05, Jim Weirich <jim at weirichhouse.org> wrote:

> RubyGems versions are all numeric by design, so there is no way to append
> an "alpha" or "beta" designation.  I tend to use 3 digit versions for
> official releases and 4 digit versions for releases between official
> releases.

For some reason, I didn't realize that four-digit version numbers were
allowed. Are there any examples of this in the wild? The RubyGems
documentation (at docs.rubygems.org) doesn't appear to have any
examples. When you're doing an update of gems using this numbering
scheme, is a gem with version number "" considered newer than a
gem with version number "1.4.0"? How does the comparison work?