[Rubygems-developers] /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in `require__': No such file to load -- zlib

chad at chadfowler.com chad at chadfowler.com
Mon Aug 1 16:55:43 EDT 2005

>> Some OS repackagers break Ruby. Debian used to be the worst culprit,
>> but you'll want to make sure you have zlib and ruby-zlib (or something
>> like that) installed, as these *are* parts of core Ruby but some folks
>> don't see fit to install them with the core Ruby language.
>> -austin
> Thank you for responding Austin. I compiled and installed ruby, fcgi and
> mod_fastcgi from source rather than using RPM's. I have zlib RPM
> installed.
> Would I need to install ruby-zlib manually from source, or should it be
> part of
> the ruby installation?
> Thanks,
> __

Hi!  On Redhat, you probably need to have something like zlib-devel or the
Ruby compile
wouldn't end up being able to compile the zlib module.  You might want to
check the compile log
to see what happened during the configure.  My bet is that you don't have
the necessary -devel packages for RHES, though I'm far from being a Redhat

On a Fedora system I have access to, I have this: zlib-devel-

(rpm -qa|grep zlib)