[Rubygems-developers] Deprecating gems

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sun Apr 17 19:59:58 EDT 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 06:55 pm, Chad Fowler wrote:
> I like these ideas.  I especially like the fact that --source could be
> used to access archived gems.  The only thing I don't like about this is
> that it would remove the ability to do a centralized search of every
> gem ever deployed.

If we got sufficiently sophisticated with --source, we could allow multiple
sources, so a search could include the normal source and the archive site.
(In fact, I thought that was the way it worked until a week ago when I tried
to install a gem from one source that had dependencies on gems from
another ... I was surprised that gem couldn't resolve the dependencies across
sources).