[Rubygems-developers] 0.8.10, various matters.

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Apr 14 07:12:11 EDT 2005

I have just tried to install Rubygems on a Windows98 box.

Because I wasn't using gem update I looked for an INSTALL file in
the tarball.  There isn't one.  README doesn't contain installation
instructions.  May I suggest we add something like this for now?
A proposed INSTALL file:

---------8<-------------------
To install rubygems:

         % ruby install.rb config
         % ruby install.rb setup
         % ruby install.rb install

You may need to be root or Administrator to install for the whole
system.  If you want to install within your home directory or
somewhere other than where the system ruby files are installed:

         % ruby install.rb config --prefix=/home/mystuff
         % ruby install.rb setup
         % ruby install.rb install

Rubygems may simply be updated with the other gems

         % gem update

Obviously we can expand on this.

When setup was done I could find no files in the
Ruby distribution.  I'd done the install from a DOS prompt. So I
looked at recent files, and found it had put the program under the
Cygwin structure, which was somewhat unexpected.  OK, so the docs
should be there then.... No, they don't seem to be.

Normally gems install the docs as well.  I'm not sure what is
happening here....

         Hugh