[Rubygems-developers] Any suggestions for the RubyGems Presentation at RubyConf

Eivind Eklund eivind at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 27 04:52:53 EDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:48:29PM -0400, Jim Weirich wrote:
> * The Developer Facet
>   * What a library developer needs to know to create a gem package.

One specific comment about this: It should be what a library developers
needs to know to create a GOOD gems package.  The technical steps
necessary to create gems are easy to make available through web sites
etc, and while a walk-through might be useful, I think it is much more
important to focus on how to make things that are of high quality.

Possibly the most important side of this is making it easy for
repackagers, as that is crucial for Ruby adoption on platforms like
FreeBSD and GNU/Linux (possibly excepting Slackware and roll-your-own
distributions.)

*Most users on these platforms will never use RubyGems, RPA, etc -
they'll just be influenced by how easy these make the repackaging
efforts*.  And we're talking of many, many millions of users - I think
the current estimate for FreeBSD alone is in the 3-5 million range.  The
Linux number is significantly higher.

Being easy to repackage also important for RPA, of course, but RPA is
probably not as crucial as the Linux/BSD market - RPA will repackage
anyway and the maintainers for it have a lot of routine dealing with
Ruby issues; the repackagers for other systems that suddenly come across
a Ruby application they want to repackage *has no such experience and
need to package all the missing dependencies at the same time*.

(I'm flogging this because I think it is very, very, very important.)

Eivind.