[Rubygems-developers] Any suggestions for the RubyGems Presentation at RubyConf

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sun Sep 26 13:48:29 EDT 2004

I'm putting the final touches on my RubyGems presentation at RubyConf.
I'll post an address for the entire thing early this week.  But in the
meantime, here is a rough outline.  I welcome suggestions and comments
(but I remain the final arbitor of content).

The Many Facets of RubyGems ...
   facet — noun
    1. one part of a subject, situation, etc. that has many parts
    2. one of the small flat surfaces cut on a precious stone

* The Demo Facet
   * We start fast with some live demos of functionality.  (We are
     using rails-like movies here)
* The User Facet
   * What the average user needs to know about rubygems.
* The Developer Facet
   * What a library developer needs to know to create a gem package.
* The Internals Facet
   * We examine some of the "behind the scenes" details of gems.
* The History Facet
   * Where gems came from, what inspired them, and other background.
* The Future Facet
   * Share some of the plans for RubyGems in the future.
* The Reference Facet
   * Web sites, documentation, mail lists, etc.

I'm shooting for an arbitrary number of 8 facets for the talk (for
aesthetic reasons ... depending on whether I have time to get a
particular graphic working the way I want).

As I said, I will post the full presentation for review early this week,
but if there is something big missing, feel free to kibitz.