[Rubygems-developers] Background

chad at chadfowler.com chad at chadfowler.com
Fri Sep 24 11:22:16 EDT 2004

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:47:31AM -0400, Chad Fowler wrote:
>> Well ,I don't think you're any  more or less a professional packager
>> than anyone else on this list, so don't be discouraged :)
>
> There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here, and I'll take this
> chance to clear it up :-)

Let me rephrase, since I've been corrected re: the word "professional":  I
don't think you are any less able to contribute great ideas and help take
RubyGems forward than anyone else on this list.
> If I've understood correctly, Mauricio is somewhat involved in the other
> largest package collection (Debian), and (not counting any activity over
> the last few days) has alone packaged and maintained roughly twice as
> many software packages for RPA as has been packaged total for RubyGems.

Not that anyone's counting (usually), but it looks more like 1.4 x the
number of packaged gems. ;)

> Of course, we're still all learning - our experience does not cover
> everything.  I hope we all have the same goals: That the collaboration
> of people that are new to the field (and thus bring fresh perspectives)
> and people with experience can result in an overall great experience for
> Ruby users :-)

Absolutely.  There's no other reason that any of us would be spending
(wasting) our time on this if not for the benefit of the community.
Personally, I'm OK with installing things on my own--compiling, patching,
whatever it takes to get something working.  This itch is being scratched
for the community as a whole.

Chad