[Rubygems-developers] Background

Eivind Eklund eivind at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 24 09:24:02 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:47:31AM -0400, Chad Fowler wrote:
> Well ,I don't think you're any  more or less a professional packager
> than anyone else on this list, so don't be discouraged :)

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding here, and I'll take this
chance to clear it up :-)

I've been a packaging professional, in other words, I've been paid to
work on packaging (and maintaining packages over time).  This has been
done in fairly closed environments.

For the style of packaging RubyGems in itself does, I've been (on and
off) involved with packaging for 8 years on team that is presently
maintaining over 11,000 packages, AFAIK one of the two largest package
collections on the planet (FreeBSD ports).  For any kind of packaging, I
started doing binary releases with installers, library dependencies, etc
somewhere around 1990.  I've had an interest in the field since then.

If I've understood correctly, Mauricio is somewhat involved in the other
largest package collection (Debian), and (not counting any activity over
the last few days) has alone packaged and maintained roughly twice as
many software packages for RPA as has been packaged total for RubyGems.

We're also actively discussing the packaging issues with other people
that are involved in both these projects, and other projects that do
provide packaging in the real world.

Of course, we're still all learning - our experience does not cover
everything.  I hope we all have the same goals: That the collaboration
of people that are new to the field (and thus bring fresh perspectives)
and people with experience can result in an overall great experience for
Ruby users :-)