[Rubygems-developers] Two feature requests

Chad Fowler chad at chadfowler.com
Wed Sep 22 19:46:17 EDT 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 7:10 PM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> erence is.
> Another thing you can do with the .gem is mention the special case in
> the summary/description, like "See README.gem for special
> instructions".  The problem there is: there's no easy way for a user
> to access that file.  (The easiest currently is via "unpack".)  That's
> _the_ major feature missing from RubyGems IMO.

You could also include the README.gem in extra_rdoc_files, so it would
show up in the rdoc generated documentation.

Definitely need to spend some time thinking about how to most easily
access files in gems (or as Austin points out, give gem developers
hooks into the Gem itself).  This does raise issues with gem-neutral
packaging, though.

I wonder what would be the best way to do this such that it would work
with, for example, rpa-base and rubygems.